Sunday 8 July 2012

Planning more cushions...

Thank you to everyone who visited on Thursday, it was lovely to get so many comments!
Cushions seem to be my go-to present this year, I think I've already made 6 for birthday, new baby and Christmas presents, and I've got two more ready to make.

Number one is for a friend's birthday. Her house is really brightly furnished with lots of lovely accessories, including some very funky cushions, so when I saw this fabric I thought it was very apt for her birthday.



I was thinking about using a zip closure rather than an envelope back, so as not to waste too much of this gorgeous fabric. Does anyone know of a good tutorial?

The second (and possibly third?) cushion is for my brother in law and his soon-to-be wife as a wedding present. My nearly s-i-l is from quite a creative family, and they made a quilt for her sister's wedding last year, but I can't see my brother in law wanting a whole quilt! I decided instead to make them a cushion, and THEN I saw this fabric:

I'm not sure entirely what to do, I'm thinking about making a pair of cushions, using these solids which match quite well:



 So, should I add borders? Keep the fronts plain and just use the solids on the back? I think I want to keep the pattern fairly visible. Questions, questions! Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received.

PS - wasn't supposed to be buying more fabric - oops!

PPS - don't forget to catch up with next week's Blog Hoppers:

July 10
    Jenelle from Echinops and Aster
    Julie from Bedsheet in the Kitchen

July 12
    Rebecca from Sew Festive Handmade
    Marti from 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks

Plum and June

1 comment:

  1. Great fabrics! Go with plain and then solid on the back! You really want to show off that fabric.
    Oh dear more fabric..I won't tell if you don't =D

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, I <3 comments!