Wednesday 4 April 2012

Highs and Lows

Warning: grumpiness follows!

It's been a topsy turvy day so far...

Highs - getting new fabric! My brother gave me a gift voucher for Backstitch for my birthday (not a spontaneous choice I might add...) and I bought these:




Lows:
I've been trying to make some log cabin blocks for one of the group projects for Siblings Together, but they won't come out right. The first block came out 1/2" too small, then the second 1/4" too small. I checked the fabric sizes after the first one, but then realised that it's my seam allowances that are out :(

NB - I realised this when looking at my Half Moon Modern snuggle quilt - one row being 3" shorter than the other....

So I decided to stick the two together and use them as a little pot holder for my porridge for when I moan  like Goldilocks every morning! That's worked quite well, but the quilting and binding weren't as good as I was hoping.




How long does it take before the picture in my head comes anywhere near the real thing????
In the meantime, I guess it's a case of practice, practice, practice!

3 comments:

  1. Ohh gorgeous fabrics! Bummer about the blocks. Can you put some tape on your sewing machine bed to get an exact 1/4" seam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric choices! The pot holder looks good! I agree with Kelly! Stick some tape-preferably masking tape-to the machine at the 1/4" mark then make sure your fabric never goes over that line unless you want a larger seam =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fabrics! Glad you still used your block though - makes a sweet pot holder!

    I struggle with the seam allowance thing too. Then I discovered my sewing machine actually came with a quarter inch foot. Gosh that makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, I <3 comments!